Politics of Tuesday, 22 December 2020
Source: classfmonline.com
The Member of Parliament-elect for Madina constituency, Francis-Xavier Sosu, has spoken against the vandalism and violence associated with the pockets of demonstrations held across the country by his fellow members of the main opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) in protest to the election results declared by the Electoral Commission following the December 7, 2020 polls.
The demonstrators have, on several occasions, clashed with law enforcers.
In one instance near the EC’s headquarters in Accra, they hurled stones and other crude weapons at the police, who were keeping them at bay from invading the premises of the election management body.
The police had to disperse the crowd with water cannons.
In another instance at Manhyia in the Ashanti regional capital, Kumasi, the demonstrators invaded the district police command on suspicion that one of their own had been arrested.
They lit a bonfire and attacked the station and officers with crude weapons.
Speaking in an interview with Kwame Appiah Kubi on CTV’s Anopa Dwabre Mu on Tuesday, 22 December 2020, however, the human rights lawyer said such violent behaviour flies in the face of the same 1992 Constitution, which guarantees their right to march.
“Let me stress that the NDC, as a political party, will not sanction or support any such violence or any illegal means of protesting”, he said.
In his view, “it is very clear that the right to demonstrate must be within the limits of the law – Public Order Act – which requires that you notify the police of the protest because the demonstration and the things you are going to destroy may not belong to the Electoral Commission that you are angry with or even your political opponent”.
“It may as well be for NDC people who voted for you or people who just love the NDC”, Mr Sosu noted, stressing: “If you cause problems with your demonstration, that problem does not affect only one person”.